In the area of El Convento there are the origins of the town of Hermigua since over 400 years ago. It is the starting point of urban, demographic and economic development in the valley of Hermigua. In addition, the Dominican convent was a cultural centre where reading and writing was taught and clases of gramar, rhetoric and theology were given.
The origin of this region dates back to 1598 when the chapel of San Pedro was built, which replaces an old one, flooded in 1596 by the ravine. Then they began to undertake extensions appended to the first building – the current Chapel “del Rosario” – which gave the construction its shape with a central nave of the Church “Santo Domingo de Guzmán” and another chapel – of Santa Rita. The dominican friars from La Laguna and Seville began to inhabit the monastery of St. Peter the Apostle in 1611.
The friars were thriving and left their life as beggars for one living from taxes and the transfer of land and mills. Thus in the 17th and 18th centuries the whole Convent lived a time of golden age, they werde donated by the wealthiest families of the valley with art works, sculptures and land. In the 18th century the convent was restored and enlarged.
In the 19th century the decline and closure of the Dominican convent San Pedro occurs. In 1820 the confiscation of Mendizabal and a decree which removed all monastic orders Foster the closure of the monastery in January 1821. Then, the church was transferred to the bishopric and the goods and lands of the convent were put on sale and became privately owned. From then until the forties of the last century the area is forgotten, then, thanks of the interest of the residents, the Santo Domingo parish is ordered. Currently the church of Santo Domingo is restored and its access and environment are in very good conditions, especially the area of the square – Plaza de Armas.